AMBITIOUS AND FUNNY TOUR-DE-FORCE
Called “the most exciting individual in American theater” by Newsweek magazine, Anna Deavere Smith (Fires in the Mirror, Twilight: Los Angeles) explores the power of the body, the price of health and the resilience of the spirit. Based on interviews with an eclectic range of people, from a heavyweight boxer to a former supermodel, and from Texas Governor Ann Richards to legendary cyclist Lance Armstrong, Let Me Down Easy “is a totally vital piece of theater, mixing a standup comic’s instincts with a great reporter’s keen eye” (Variety).
Let Me Down Easy is performed without an intermission and runs approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Arena Stage is thrilled to present a weekly series of guest speakers connected with its production of Let Me Down Easy. The series is free and open to the public and will take place on Sundays January 16, 23, 30 and February 6 and on Saturday January 29, at 3:45 p.m., immediately following the 2 p.m. matinee performance. During each event, Arena Stage will welcome a guest speaker whose work in the world resonates with the issues at play in Let Me Down Easy: whether in healthcare policy, sports, medicine, or spirituality.
- January 16: Joan Maxwell MTS, Bea Leibson LICSW, and Rebecca Podurgiel Ramirez, MD, MSSA, experts in the field of palliative and end of life care from George Washington University Hospital
- January 23: Ruth J. Katz, Chief Public Health Counsel with the Committee on Energy and Commerce in the U.S. House of Representatives
- January 29: Franmarie Kennedy, Ph.D. of the Aspen Health, Biomedical Science and Society Initiative
- January 30: Washington Post sports columnist and feature writer Sally Jenkins
- February 6: Vanessa Northington Gamble, M.D., Ph.D., University Professor of Medical Humanities at George Washington University
- Reservations can be made by calling the Arena Stage Sales Office at 202-488-3300.
Craze Chameleon Studio, LLC